Emigrating to Canada


Emigrating to Canada from the UK


Are you one of the 250,000 people that are emigrating to Canada this year?


Some of the things that you may need to think about when emigrating to Canada from the UK

  • Research the cities and areas that you want to move to before you move its important that you find the right part of the country that suits the needs for you and all of your family, job opportunities and schools need to be high on the list.
  • Make sure that you apply for the correct Visa for you, there are a selection of different Visa’s that are available, choosing the right one for you means that you stand a better chance of being accepted.
  • Complete your application, pay fees and get it sent across as soon as you can as the review process can take a considerable amount of time.
  • When you have been accepted you will receive a permanent residents visa at this point you can start to think about what you are going to take with you.
  • One call to Premier International Movers and we will book you in for a free quotation from our experienced surveyor any queries or questions about the move will be answered.



Canadian Flag Here at Premier International Movers we are specialists in International moves for a FREE QUOTE call us today on 01283 515633

Relocating to Spain


moving to Spain with Premier International Movers

Relocating to Spain

Moving abroad is a life changing decision with a new lifestyle and culture to embrace you need to make sure that you get as organized and prepared as you possibly can.

We have put a helpful guide below that shows some of the things that you will need to look into and action before relocating.




A few helpful hints when relocating to Spain:

  • Request official copies of personal documents for your whole family from birth certificates to employments records you will need it all and it will be much easier to get information while you are still in the UK.
  • Investigate the best insurance for your destination, limits can vary dramatically throughout the world.
  • Make sure you know your new country’s laws, rules and regulations, it’s a good idea to contact the appropriate consulate or embassy to ensure that you get all the relevant and up to date information on the current laws, rules and regulations.
  • Be prepared and complete your applications for passports, permits and visas as soon as possible as these can take a while to come through.
  • If you are on any prescription drugs make sure you take a copy of your medical file and get additional quantities so that you have enough to last while you settle in.
  • Get a quote from Premier International Movers, it could take over 4 weeks for your goods to arrive so it’s good to plan ahead when booking your shipment in.


If you have any questions or require an international quote please contact us on 01283 515633

Shipping Containers from Burton on Trent


Shipping Containers from Burton on Trent

Premier International Movers are now do shipping containers from Burton on Trent

Shipping Containers from Burton on Trent, you have some different container options. For example, temperature controlled or refrigerated containers are used if you want to ship perishable goods at a stable temperature overseas. Open top containers are great to transport heavy equipment or bulk cargo. Tank containers provide an effective means to move liquids and dangerous or hazardous materials.

A 40 foot Shipping Container for overseas moving and international shipping is a standard size. These large containers are typically big enough to hold around 1,850 to 2,200 cubic feet. This space is generally suitable to move a large household (3 to 5 bedroom) or one vehicle and a few small household items.

There are different types of 40′ (12.2 m)Shipping Containers. For example, there is a 40 foot dry box standard container and the 40 foot dry box high cube container.

If you need a 40′ dry box container that is the standard size, the maximum payload is generally around 59,000 lbs with a cubic capacity of close to 2,350 cubic feet. High Cube 40′ dry box containers have slightly smaller maximum payloads of around 57,120 lbs with slightly larger cubic capacity of 2,680 cubic feet.

If you require any further information on Shipping Containers from Burton on Trent or for an international quote please give us a call on 01283 515633

Emigrating to New Zealand



What’s your experience of moving your outdoor effects to New Zealand?


Most people are undecided on what items to take with them, when they immigrate to New Zealand due to the MAF Regulations. New Zealand has a unique ecosystem and significant economic reliance on agriculture.

All containers landed in New Zealand are checked by MAF (the ministry of agriculture and fisheries) and the following items are usually inspected:

Wooden Items

Gardening Equipment

Lawn Mowers

Outdoor Toys



Cane Furniture


Golf clubs and buggies

Sporting equipment (there are special guidelines for camping equipment and fishing gear)

Vacuum cleaners with un – emptied dust bags

Ornaments and curios containing skin or feathers

Christmas decorations (No pinecones)

Dried flowers and seeds

Equipment/medicines used with horses or other animals

Used vehicles


As long as your goods have been thoroughly cleaned and free from soil and dirt and have been disinfected you shouldn’t have any problems, items need to be clearly marked on the inventory, any smaller items that will require inspection should be packed together.  

One thing to consider is the strength of the sun in New Zealand the UV rays could deteriorate your goods sooner than they would in the UK.

Do some research and consider the cost of shipping your effects or buying new when you get to New Zealand.





Australian Government changes from Skill Matching to Skillselect


Still Matching database ceased operating on 1st July 2012 to make way for the new skilled migrant selection register, Skillselect.

Skill select is an online system that enables skilled workers interested in migrating to Australia to record their details to be considered for a skilled visa through an Expression of interest. Intending migrants can register their interest in being selected for independent (None sponsored) migration or seek nomination for a skilled visa from Australia employers or state and territory governments.


Skilled Independent (Subclass 189) Visa

This points-based visa is for skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer, a state or territory, or family member. A visa holder can live and work permanently anywhere in Australia. Certain family members can be included in the application.

Skilled – Nominated (Subclass 190) Visa

This points-based visa is for skilled workers who are nominated by a state or territory, a visa holder can live and work permanently anywhere in Australia, certain family members can be included in the application.

Skilled – Nominated or Sponsored (Provisional) (Subclass 489) Visa

This points-based visa is for skilled workers who are nominated by a state or territory or sponsored by an eligible relative living in a designated area in Australia. The visa is valid for four years, and a visa holder must live and work in a specified regional area, certain family members can be included in the application, including members not included in previous subclass 495, 496, 475 and 487 applications, this visa allows holders of provisional visa subclasses 495, 496, 475 and 487 to stay in Australia for up to 48 months from the date their current visa was granted.

Subclass 457 Visa

This visa allows a business to employ someone from outside Australia in a skilled job in Australia. If you hold this visa you can work in Australia for up to four years, bring your family with you and travel in and out of Australia as often as you want.

Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186)

This visa is for skilled workers from outside Australia or skilled temporary residents who live and work in Australia. It has three streams. 1. The temporary residence transition stream is for subclass 457 visa holders who have worked for two years and their employer wants to offer them a permanent position. 2. The direct entry stream is for people who have never or only briefly worked in the Australian labour market. 3. The agreement stream is for people sponsored by an employer through a labour or regional migration agreement.

Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 187)

This visa is for skilled workers from outside Australia or skilled temporary residents who live and work in regional Australia. It has three steams 1. The temporary residence transition stream is for subclass 457 visa holders who have worked for two years and their employer wants to offer them a permanent position. 2. The direct entry stream is for people who have never or only briefly worked in Australian labour market. 3. The agreements stream is for people sponsored by an employer through a labour or regional migration agreement.

Business Talent (Permanents) (Subclass 132) visa

This visa has two streams. 1. The significant business history stream is for affluent owners or part owners of business who want to have a major management role in a new or existing business in Australia to the Venture Capital Entrepreneur stream is for people who have obtained at least AUD 1 million in funding from an Australian venture capital firm.

Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) (Subclass 188) Visa

The Visa has two streams 1. The business innovation stream is for people who want to own and manage a new or existing business in Australia. 2. For people who want to make a designated investment in an Australian state or territory and want to maintain business and investment activity in Australia after the original investment has matured.

Business Innovation and Investment (Permanent)(Subclass 888) Visa

The Visa has two streams 1. Business stream for people who own and manage a business in Australia. 2. Investor stream for people who have a designated investment in an Australia state or territory and want to maintain business and /or investment activity in Australia after the original investment has matured.

For further information go to www.immi.gov.uk

Thinking of starting a family after you emigrate to Australia


If your considering starting a family after relocating to Australia. The government allows for a “Baby Bonus,” which pays $5185 AUD for each child (paid in instalments) once the child is born. Once you have become a permanent resident in Australia, you may also qualify for the “Family Tax Benefit,” an income-based payment to help defer the cost of raising children.

Britannia premiers guide to International and European shipping of horses and ponies


Do you want to take your horse abroad, either for a holiday, for training or to compete? international and European shipping of horses and ponies is not as complicated as you might think. After all, the UK’s show jumpers and dressage horses travel abroad every week to train and compete in Europe, and even further afield.
It is easy to take your horse abroad in your own trailer or lorry across to Ireland or Europe on a ferry (horses and cattle are not allowed in the Eurotunnel). Or you could use a reputable International Horse Transport firm such as John Parker International. Top show jumpers may cross the channel several times a month.
If you are travelling some distance, there are stables you can book for a rest stop for your horse or pony. There are specialised stables for this at Dover and near Calais. Other stable yards and equestrian centres throughout the UK and across Europe will offer the same service. You can either phone around yourself or contact an equestrian travel, horse shipping or transport company who will be able to advise you.
Ferry companies will charge by vehicle length, so it is often cheaper to take a small lorry rather than a 4×4 and trailer. Ensure your chosen ferry route will take horses. Inform the ferry company that you will be transporting a horse when you book your ticket. Don’t forget to phone the ferry company before you leave to check for any delays or rough weather. They will not allow horses on the ferries in very rough seas. Always make sure you take your horse or pony’s passport with you when travelling.
The most common ferry crossings used for horses:

• Dover to Calais
• Newhaven to Dieppe
• Harwich to the Hook of Holland
• Hull to Rotterdam
• Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire
• Pembroke to Rosslare
• Stranraer to Belfast

Ponies – there are additional regulations for taking ponies under 147cms (14.2hh) abroad due to the ban on live exports for meat.

Taking your horse into Northern Ireland is simple – just book your lorry on a ferry and off you go. Travelling to the Republic of Ireland, make sure you inform the ferry company that there will be a horse on your lorry as they will inform the vet in the port. Your horse will be quickly inspected to ensure it is fit for travel. Make sure there is no loose hay or straw on your lorry when you board the ferry to the Republic of Ireland. If there is they will make you unload your horse at the dock and thoroughly clean out your lorry. Loose shavings and sealed bags of haylage and feed are acceptable.

All you need to ship your horse to France is an export licence, easily obtained from DEFRA. Registered horses do not require a TRACES document and as all horses must now have passports, health certificates are no longer required at all.

The rest of Europe
Horses travelling to the rest of Europe (Spain, Holland, Belgium, Germany, Italy etc.) will require an export licence and a TRACES document. It is also advisable to have a Route Plan to show that the horse is being transported under the terms of the Welfare of Animals Transport Order 1997. Horses exempt from requiring Route Plans are:
• entered on the main stud book/register of a recognised breed society; or
• have a Horse Passport issued by the International Federation of Equestrian Sports (FEI) or other organisations arranging international competitions; or
• do not meet the previous two exemptions but are travelling to or from a competition and have proof of participation (e.g. a letter of invitation).
Horses travelling to or through Switzerland or Norway are subject to customs clearance and will need to travel on an ATA Carnet. This allows them to travel free of taxes or duties.
Some countries outside Europe have specific quarantine and blood test requirements. For example, shipping horses to the USA will require blood tests for infectious anaemia (via Coggins Test), glanders, dourine and piroplasmosis, also a test for CEM for mares and stallions, and a period of quarantine before they leave the UK.

Moving to Dubai


Dubai is part of the AEU, The United Arab Emirates. Dubai attracts many British tourists on holiday visits, and now more and more are deciding to relocate permanently to the country. Like many other countries careful planning is needed to insure your move to Dubai goes as smoothly as possible. Here at Britannia Premier Burton on Trent we would like to assist you with your move to Dubai by giving you useful information on visas and licences and accommodation.

Visas and licences

 Firstly you need to get the appropriate visas into place in order for your move to go ahead. In order to be granted residency in Dubai you need to have a residency visa, you will need this to secure accommodation, open bank accounts and also set up phone lines and internet. A full United Arab Emirates driving licence will also be required in order to drive a private car in Dubai, you can ask to be issued with a temporary licence can be issued. In order to obtain visas and licences you will need the following important documentation on your arrival in Dubai:

• Birth certificates •

Marriage certificates •

Education documents

 • Degree certification

 • 6 months of bank statements


Accommodation in Dubai is of a very high standard and can be quite expensive, so it is important to consider your options carefully. Whether renting or buying you can be sure to find many apartments, town houses and luxury villas on the market to suit your budget. There are many different areas of Dubai to choose to live in, whether you choose a luxury apartment by Dubai marina or a town house in the suburbs. The most popular areas of Dubai some choose to locate to are:

• Dubai Marina

• The greens

 • Arabian Ranches

 • The springs

• Green community

• Down town Dubai

 • Business bay

 • Motor city

With careful planning and some research you can be sure to find accommodation to suit your needs and budget in an area you and your family will be happy in. Providing you do your research and have in place all of the correct documentation you can be sure that your move to Dubai goes as smooth as possible.

Shipping your pets abroad from Burton on Trent Staffordshire


Here at premier we would like to give you some information about shipping your pets abroad from Burton on Trent Staffordshire. It is important that you have all the right documentation in place in to ensure the move is stress free for both yourself and your beloved pets. With this in mind here is some useful information to assist you when shipping your pets abroad.

The PETS scheme

Pet travel rules, find out what you need to do if you are travelling with a pet on or after 1 January 2012

The scheme is designed to stop the spread of rabies and other diseases while still allowing pets to travel.

The UK has been free of rabies for many years, but mammals are still at risk in some other countries.

From 1 January 2012 all pet cat, dogs and ferrets can enter or re-enter the UK from any country in the world without quarantine provided they meet the rules of the scheme, which will be different depending on the country or territory the pet is coming from. You can check details and the full procedure for preparing your pet on the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) website.

To be eligible, your cat, dog or ferret must:

  • first be fitted with a microchip
  • then be vaccinated against rabies


Pets from EU and listed countries must:

  • wait 21 days from the date of their first rabies vaccination before re-entering the UK or travelling to another country


Pets from unlisted countries must:

  • be blood tested at least 30 days after vaccination with a satisfactory result by a European Union approved laboratory
  • wait three calendar months from the date the blood sample was taken before re-entering the UK


You must also ensure that your pet:

  • is issued with a pet passport by their vet
  • is treated by a vet for tapeworm, not less than 24 hours and not more than 120 hours (1-5 days) before the scheduled time of entry into the UK (dogs only)
  • travels into the UK on a PETS-approved sea, air or rail route

Before you go

You must book your return journey into the UK with one of the many PETS-approved carriers, on a PETS-approved route. There is only a limited amount of space and it is allocated on a first-come-first-served basis.

You must book in advance or your pet will not be allowed to travel.

Taking care of your pet when travelling

These tips can help make your pet’s journey as comfortable as possible:

  • make sure your pet is as fit and healthy as possible to withstand the journey
    • give them a light meal about two hours before they travel
    • give your pet the opportunity to go to the toilet before it is put in its carrying container
    • let your pet ‘try out’ the carrying container before the trip
    • the carrying container should be well-ventilated, roomy enough for the animal to move around, safe and have adequate food and water for the trip, with easily refillable containers for a long journey
    • put a familiar-smelling cushion or rug in the container to help your pet settle

Returning to the UK

When returning to the UK, transport staff will check your pet passport to ensure the requirements of the scheme have been met. If there is missing paperwork or your pet has not been prepared correctly it may be:

  • taken into UK quarantine
  • returned to the country from which it has just come

Top tips for moving to New Zealand


New Zealand is one of the most popular relocation destinations for British expats.  New Zealand has a lot to offer as a country, it has the weather and landscapes and also a very well established English speaking population so therefore New Zealand is a very attractive relocation destination.

There are many things you need to know and consider when considering moving to New Zealand, the first being considering you likely hood of being offered residence. There are many different ways you could qualify for residency within New Zealand; there is a points system which is dependent on your professional or practical qualifications and also you personal circumstances.  If however you cannot gain enough points through the point system to be granted residency, then there also options of a working visa or permit.

Once you have sorted the way in which you can gain residency in New Zealand, the next important decision to make is whether to buy or rent a property and the location in which you choose to do so. Renting may be a good idea if you are still unsure of the exact location you will decide to settle in as you will not have to buy and sell more than once. The location you choose is also important, consider the standard of schooling within the area if you are relocating with children, and also access to shops and your new employment.

Finally it is important to be sure you have the right finances in place to support a move to New Zealand, especially if you are going out without a job offer in hand. Try and budget so that you take sufficient funds out with you to ensure you can live and support yourself for at least 3 months whilst you find your feet.  

Wherever you choose to settle in New Zealand and however long you decide to settle for, if you plan well and arrive prepared you can be sure that you move over to New Zealand is successful.

Copyright © 2012 Premier International Movers. All rights reserved.